Wednesday, July 11, 2012

35 week panic

35 weeks.

I will be 35 weeks tomorrow. I was technically 35 weeks when I went into labor with little man. 35 weeks 6 days. I remember this because when I was admitted to the hospital the nurses asked how far along I was I told them I would be 36 tomorrow. She said ok "35 weeks and 6 days- premature" Have the NICU ready.
As if there weren't alarms going off in my head already.

So Little Man decided he was ready at 35 weeks and my water broke- completely unexpected. Really- I had no braxten hicks. I had no real contractions. I had no cramping. I did not have the runs. The baby had turned over the a few days before and I had "dropped." The Dr. said I was only 1 cm and 50% effaced. He said I prob wouldn't go to full term, but not to worry. I went grocery shopping- there was NO freaking food in the house. We had our bedroom and the baby's room painted. Mom yelled at me for grocery shopping alone. She didn't yell- but"got onto me." I slept on the couch in the front room (The hubby slept on the floor next to me.) The next day I got up and went to work. I caught my principal in the  hallway and mentioned that the Dr. said I will not go to my due date and we should get on finding me a long term sub. He looked at me and said- what we have a few months right? I was like no- not really. "What are you having? A squirrel?" No- just a baby.

I had a little chat with my students that day about how things would be when I left. The conversation started getting long and silly so I cut them off and told them "Don't worry, I am not having this baby tomorrow." Talk about words that will live infamy.

Went home, took a nap in mom's bed. She or the Hubby made dinner, cant remember. I think it was her. I woke up and started up the stairs, then changed my mind and went to the bathroom. Only it didn't stop- my water broke.
Panic- I called Justin in a panic and told him that I thought my water had broken. He asked what do we do? I asked for the phone to call the dr. I spoke to the answering service. She said the Dr. would call me right back. 20 minutes later I called again as my water continued to drip. This time she directly connected me. He told me to go ahead and head to the hosp. I asked if I could shower and eat. He told me to go ahead as long as I am not in pain, and I can feel the baby moving that I was fine. So I did, best shower EVER. When Justin's sister arrived at the house, we headed out. We met his parents at the house. I was admitted. I walked and walked to move things along. I got a fever (common when your water breaks.) I was put on an IV, petossan (or however you spell it) to make me dilate more, epidural came about 1 am. I tried to sleep but I was having back labor and I could feel it quite strongly above my epidural line. About 3:30 I started pushing. About 5 am they put me on oxygen- and had a baby at 7:30 am.

I had the most amazing nurses. They made it so easy to understand and quelled my fears. The same Dr that told me not to worry, delivered my boy.

This is also the same Dr that told me last week that 1 cm and 50% effaced was normal and not to worry (again).

Saw my vice principal today and put that little bug in her ear about my long term sub... she was like "Absolutely, tomorrow I put out the calls and start interviews!" much better than "What are you having? A squirrel?

I am in a much better place this time. I just want the baby to stay long enough to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment