Sunday, February 17, 2013

questions...

Do you remember back to the days of aol and e-mail as the primary source of electronic communication? You would get these chain e-mails with a gazillion questions about you? Well,
 http://www.tellingdad.com/  has decided to post one question at a time, and answer. So I thought it would be fun to do the same.

So question 1) WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
So I already addressed this shortly in my inaugural post. But, I could give more. My father's mother was Elizabeth and they called her Betty. I really think I would have loved being called Betty, but my grandfather remarried after he death and my parents (my mom really) did not want to offend the woman I knew as Grandma. In the years since, I have learned that my Dad really didn't care for his step mom and would have lept at the opportunity to piss her off. So if he had it his way, I would be Betty. As it came about I was called Beth. My grandpa always called me Bet. I assumed it was his old man Chicago accent that changed the ending, but maybe he was calling me Bet as in short for Betty. I will never know. Growing up with about a thousand "Beths" (thanks in no small part to a new version of Little Women being released shortly before my brith) I was yearning for some individuality. When I went to college I changed my nick name to Eliza. It was really easy. At orientation, I asked for a new name tag that said Eliza, and it all fell into place. The problem with this really came after college when I reintegrated into a community that knew me as Beth and Eliza... I really wish I had just switched back to Beth after college. It would be a lot easier. OR changed to Eliza in High School when we moved here. oh well... 

My middle name is Harriett. I was named after my Father's cousin and my God mother.  Overall my name is very Brittish and Regal sounding. Elizabeth Harriet. My maiden name kinda screws that up though. Mrazek. 

So was I name after anyone? Yes- very much so.  

1 comment: