Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I think we all have a little PTSD

I was walking my dogs early this morning. It is a task that eats up my precious sleeping time, but the back door is broken. The back door is where we put the dogs on their run. So because we can out them out, I have to walk them. Anyway, I am looking up at the very dark sky and there is a plane flying low about to land and for the briefest of moments my stomach tightens and I panic. "Is that too low?" And then it passes. But upon reflecting, I realize I think this a lot. It all goes back to September 11, 2001.
My goodness it was over 11 years ago, and I still have fleeting thoughts of panic when I see a jet liner flying low. Is this imbedded in our American psyche? Does anyone else still have a reaction?
It can't be just me.
According to the Mayo Clinic this is the definition of PTSD.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that's triggered by a terrifying event. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event.

Sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment